The Lower Merion Synagogue was founded in 1954 by four families committed to the development of an Orthodox shul and community in Lower Merion. It was the Township’s first Orthodox congregation. Under the leadership of our beloved Rabbi Abraham Levene, the shul grew from a small group of families to a membership of 350 families. Our community has grown with us and now numerous local institutions support and serve Orthodox families. Today, with Rabbi Avraham Shmidman as the Morah D’Asra, LMS continues its membership growth and the synagogue has thriving multiple daily minyanim, a dynamic and exciting youth program, and shiurim, daf yomi and other educational programs that attract people from all over the Philadelphia area.
If you were to ask members or visitors to describe LMS, they would undoubtedly say it is a welcoming and inclusive Orthodox congregation. Ahavat Yisrael is the unifying theme of our synagogue, which also maintains a strong commitment to the observance of Halacha and the study of Torah, to the love of Israel and its people, and to providing opportunities for the individual spiritual growth of its members. Our goals for the future remain much the same as those of the four founding families—to provide a home for those seeking an Orthodox synagogue where they and their children can come together to pray, celebrate, learn and grow.