LOWER MERION SYNAGOGUE NICHUM AVELIM COMMITTEE
The LMS Nichum Aveilim Committee supports shul members who are in situations of Aninut (the period immediately following a death but before the funeral) or Aveilut (the period of mourning following the funeral).
The services provided by the Committee fall into three broad categories:
- Communication: An announcement of funeral arrangements and Shiva information is sent to the LMS membership via email. Information is also posted on the LMS website.
- Household support: A representative of the Committee is available to consult with the family and determine its needs for the periods of Aninut and Shiva. The Committee is prepared to help prepare the house for Shiva by covering mirrors, setting up for Minyanim, supplying Shiva chairs, ensuring that the Seudat Havra’ah (the meal upon returning from cemetery) and other meals are prepared, and providing other forms of support that may be needed in special situations. We are also able to supply the family with a copy of Rabbi Maurice Lamm’s book “The Jewish Way in Death and Mourning” thanks to a generous donation from Bala Judaica.
- Minyanim. If the family wishes to have Minyanim at the Shiva house, the Committee supplies Siddurim, Shulchan, Aron Kodesh and a Sefer Torah. A representative of the Committee will be available to assure that a Minyan is available and that the service runs smoothly.
The work of the Committee is overseen by our Mara D’atra, Rabbi Shmidman.
Should Chas V’shalom our services be needed, members may be reached by:
- Contacting the shul office at 610-664-5626
- Contacting the committee members:
Gail Cantor (610) 664-3502
Jonathan Stieglitz (610) 668-9099
Stuart Rudoler (267) 258-2500.
- Contacting LMS Executive Director Gwen Horowitz at email@example.com, 610-664-5626 (shul office) or 610-667-0493 (home)
Nichum Aveilim Policy regarding email announcements:
The Nichum Aveilum Committee will send out announcements for LMS members as well as for individuals for whom an LMS member is sitting shiva. Announcements will be sent, upon request, for former LMS members or for individuals with a significant connection to the shul.
May the LMS family, and all of Klal Yisrael, share only Simchas in the future.